St. Joseph’s established a Safeguarding Committee in 2019. The Committee aims to ensure that the Safeguarding Children and Young People Policy is embedded across the parish and that compliance requirements are met by:
- promoting child safety within the community and fostering an understanding of the importance of child safety; and
- working collaboratively with the leadership of the parish to promote the safety of children and young people
- implementing, maintaining and/or reviewing child safety processes and procedures to support the wellbeing and safety of children and your people with input from stakeholders
- engaging in and/or reviewing risk management processes to promote the safe participation of children and young people in programs, activities and events;
- involving children and young people (and their families) in decision making and planning to promote child safety;
- ensuring that reporting processes for concerns and/or allegations are well communicated across the parish and act as a first point of contact in relation to child safety concerns, reports or allegations and comply with reporting protocols for child abuse reports and allegations;
- participating in and/or delivering child safety information and training; and
- monitor ongoing compliance with the CAM Safeguarding Children and Young People Framework which encompasses the requirements of the Victorian Child Safe Standards.
The current members of the Committee are:
- Father Alan Gibson (Parish priest)
- Kerri Anne Brussen (Jo Care co-ordinator)
- Chris Earl (Business Manager/Parish secretary)
- Ron Farrell (parishioner)
- Patricia Johnson (parishioner and member of Parish Pastoral Council)
The Committee members can be contacted via the parish office on 9401 6390 or via email.